Monday, February 13, 2012

Another Voice goes quiet... kudo's to the Grammy's

God love you Whitney... you were an amazing talent!

I was not a huge Whitney fan.. but I did enjoy her music. Talent is talent and she had a special spark. Boy howdy, could she nail those notes perfectly! Indeed... my best memory, will be her pure rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, etched the year our country was smacked so hard. There is great sorrow for the loss - again - of such talent.

Paladin and I watched the Grammy's last nite. It's always been one of my fave shows because I love music of most kinds. Rap... not so much. And I love live performances, and the interesting parings of artists as well. I have been groovin' on Adel's 21 for a few months now and had planned to watch to see her first public sing since her throat surgery.

Somehow, Paladin and I never saw any news on Sat, (we spent the day packing and doing some floor cleaning) and Sun morning in bed he reads to me from his smartphone that Whitney is dead. Awwwww.. damn! Another one??? I know the Grammy's are tonight.. and oh.. that's gonna be rough. I thought they did one heck of a job. It was all the perfect tone. I noted the black flag hangings at the red carpet and wondered if those had been added for Whitney. The host LL Cool J set a good tone for a somber yet still celebratory evening.

The Boss kicked it off and hauled us in. So many great acts, a few that we both were 'ehhhh, not our thing.' However, I had been looking forward to Glenn Campbell, and I was happy that Glenn was able to stay on track and do a great performance. Only at the very end can you hear him ask "Where do I go now?" I was glad for him. Paladin grinned at me as I sang along with Glenn, remembering that Rhinestone Cowboy.. (which Paladin has never seen but is gonna get to) saying "wow Mystress, you know all the words to the songs!' Yeah, well.. I normally only sing in the car. He was one of the best performances of the night. The Beach Boys was a bit of an odd performance, Brian Wilson looking a bit robotic through most of it, but did get a few smiles out at the end. And it was the first time they'd reunited in forever. Sir Paul.. well. he was pretty good too. Loved Joe Walsh and Bruce Springsteen doing harmony. All in all, a great show and like a spontaneous memorial as well, and appropriately done., Well.. except that weird nun chick dancing with the priests. Looked more like something from Bohemian Grove.


I am sad.. that Whitney lost her way. By whatever means she left, perhaps, her life was also another lesson for us. Like MJ's song 'Gone too Soon'.

I tilt my hat to the wonderful job the Grammy's did last nite in the tribute to her.
And kudos to Adel for winning it all! 21 is a great record.

Tomorrow is Valentines Day.. lets all give our loved one's an extra hug today or tonight, just because we can, even if its just sending them a virtual one.

Best to all,
Mystress

No comments: